Census of Land Use and Employment (CLUE)
Census of Land Use and Employment (CLUE) provides comprehensive information about land use, employment and economic activity across the City of Melbourne, making it a valuable research tool.
CLUE assists the City of Melbourne's business planning, policy development and strategic decision making. Investors, consultants, students, urban researchers, property analysts, businesses and developers can take advantage of CLUE to understand customers, the market place and the changing form and nature of the city.
How CLUE works
The City of Melbourne conducts a census of all businesses in the municipality every two years. This data answers a range of questions, including:
- What are the current land uses (building types, floor space usage, business activities)?
- What sort of businesses and industries are located in the City of Melbourne and how fast are they growing?
- What are the key trends in employment, business and development and residential sector expansion?
- What are the changes in land use?
About the data
CLUE data includes:
- industry structure and type (ANZSIC code and number of establishments or business locations)
- floor space type and use (office, retail, industrial, accommodation, entertainment, vacant)
- employment type and status (full-time, part-time, casual or contractor, male and female)
- building information (number of floors, year of construction, accessibility, predominant space use)
- venue and capacity measures (cafe and restaurant seats, off-street car parking spaces, bicycle and shower facilities, residential dwellings, student dwellings)
- spatial distribution (maps, CLUE small areas, blocks and customised regions).Selected dataset from CLUE are presented here on Melbourne Open Data. Published census results do not provide confidential or business sensitive details about individual businesses.Summary information and findings from the most recent and past CLUE collections can be found on the City of Melbourne website and the City of Melbourne’s Economic Profile.Use our CLUE definitions as a guide to the Census data.